A Freeway in Hell

My thoughts on the nature of our late capitalist society. The title should give some clue what I think of that! US 101 or I-80 as metaphor for our imperatives. Besides worrying about what sort of black hole we are speeding into, I like airships. One reason being the almost inescapble desire to have one to get out of a traffic jam!

Name:
Location: Sonoma County, California

Grew up a military brat, Californian-in-exile, reactionary libertarian-essentially spent the 70s on Mars, for I am hearing impaired and I did not know what the music was saying. Generally still don't unless I listen to it over and over or find the words captioned on a movie or somewhere on line. Came "back" to California to begin my adult life, have not lived elsewhere since. No regrets there despite our problems here. Have studied physics, more math than most human beings will ever need, worked on spaceship projects (well, one) at JPL. Lived with a wonderful disabled person who lives no more--L Natasha Littletree RIP October 2004. I have a life plan, just kind of vague on some of the short-term stuff.

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Time to break out the ice skates?

I had the notion of explaining the Freeway in Hell metaphor sometime soon, but instead I got to reading LeftI, and Eli links to a recent speech by Texan Republican Congressman Ron Paul, who was the Libertarian Presidential candidate in 1988.

Here I have been marveling at how, without any of my beliefs changing, I am becoming such a conservative, in the sense that I value preserving at least the way we did things in America, for the past few generations, rather than any more of these half-baked innovations our alleged Congress and President want to ram through right now, and therefore I want to preserve independent courts, Social Security, etc etc.

I don't listen to Libertarians usually because I am afraid they will take my first agreement as an excuse to slash social services. But here is Rep. Paul saying so many true and sober things. My shock is complete. Apparently we are at the point where Texan Republicans are too liberal for the alleged "mainstream."

I hope I wake up from this dream before I turn completely into Edmund Burke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home